What is a Support Group?
Bereavement and Grief Support groups bring together people who are going through or have gone through similar experiences of a loss... they provide an opportunity for people to share feelings and coping strategies, and a safe place to become comfortable around others once more.
I have been a facilitator to both open and closed bereavement groups for more than 12 years. I am a Certified Bereavement Counselor and have trained peer facilitators in various programs.
Benefits of participating in a bereavement support group may include:
- Feeling less lonely, isolated or judged
- Reducing distress, depression, anxiety or fatigue
- Talking openly and honestly about your feelings
- Improving skills to cope with challenges
- Gaining a sense of empowerment, control or hope
- Improving understanding of a loss and your own experience with it
- Getting practical feedback about treatment options available.
- Guidelines for confidentiality